Friday, March 25, 2011

Im eating what?

Our oldest is quite the picky eater. For the last 5 years I have been trying to make him eat what I cook for the entire family. Momma always said "I;m not a short order cook, IF you dont eat it. You dont eat at all."
Well with him that could mean numerous things. For one he would eat it and just work himself up that is hated it so much that he would gag until he vomited. This happened pretty much every time he was at the house.. THis set me on a mission to fugure out how to get him to eat something other than chicken nuggets, pizza, mac n cheese, and ranch.. Yes I said ranch.. he could and would drink it. (GROSS)

Since he is not my own and I cannot force feed him the way I probably would mine (if they were picky) I just started hiding veggies in food using Deceptively Delicious. Then I decided if i really wanted him to expand his pallet he needed to know what he was eating and truly like or not like the item.

With Vomiting a thing of the past I have decided to assist other MOPE's (Mom of picky eaters) with how I did this.

I for one DO NOT let them not try something.. A 2 bite minimum is required for all foods. IF they do not like it the first time (you can really tell in their faces on our kids) then be done with it that day and week. Try again the next week. Doctors say that it takes up to 14 times of trying something to officially like it. Hoping no one has to wait that long..

  1. I try to season all of my foods so that its not to spicy or salty.
  2. I try to only have 1 new thing per meal
  3. FRESH is BEST
  4. Expand your horizons
  5. have many options. 
  6. you must eat it!
  7. plan WAY ahead!
  8. bake,saute, fry, broil, steam, simmer, toast DONT MICROWAVE new items...

 The Following is a FAVORITE in our household. #1 Dreaded dinner the entire day (You start before school) and the he ate 3 bowls of it once it was served!

Real Beef Stroganoff
this feeds our family of 4 eaters with 2nds



  • 1lb  beef stew chunks (or beef roast cut into cubes
  • 1 white onion diced 
  • 1 package mushrooms sliced thick (can use 1 8oz drained can)
  • 1 can cream of onion
  • 1 can cream of mushroom (I use 98%fat free)
  • 1 package cream cheese (I use fat free)
  • 1 8oz tub of SourCream (i use fat free)
  • 1 package No yoke Noodles or 3 cups Brown rice
  • Beef stock as needed
In a Crock pot mix cream of onion and cream of  mushrooms. I add a little garlic salt and pepper.
Dump diced onion, mushrooms, and meat into mixture and stir it up so meat is coated. I add about 1/4 cup of beef stock to help it not stick to sides at first.
Cook on high heat if you are making it within 4 hrs of eating Cook on Low if you will be cooking all day.
Once meat is cooked and u are within 1hr of eating set cream cheese out to soften. Add Sour cream to crock and stir gently. 
Once Cream cheese is softened add in small chunks and stir to melt. 
Add more salt and pepper to your likeness.

I always make noodles and rice. Kids like noodles and Hubs and I like rice.. 

Spoon mixture over either and serve with a fresh veggie!





2 comments:

  1. This sounds yummy and I love food that I can cook in a crock pot! Makes life after work so much easier! Keep them coming I love new recipes :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is supper yummy.. in winter i make it every week.. every couple weeks when its hot out.. I LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete